Novelty and inventive step - Intermediate level
Participants will have a good understanding of the
criteria used in the determination of novelty and inventive
step, and will be confident in applying the problem solution approach for the assessment of inventive step.
They will also be able to deal with special cases related to novelty and inventive step.
Staff of national patent offices of the EPO member states
Level of expertise
- Review of novelty-assessment criteria
- Review of inventive-step assessment, including the problem-solution approach
- Review of types of prior art and the use thereof
- Special cases, such as partial problems, alternative solutions, implicit features, selection inventions, and juxtaposition/aggregation of features
- Other indications of inventive step
- Comparison between national and EPO case law
- Practical exercises related to assessment of novelty and inventive step, including special cases. The seminar takes account of different technical areas (chemistry, physics-electricity and mechanics).
Participants must have attended the entry level seminar OS13-2012, and/or have a minimum of two years patent examination experience. A very good command of spoken and written English is required.
- improve their skills in assessing novelty and inventive step
- get a brief review of the basics of novelty and inventive-step assessment, including feature analysis of the claims and the prior art, priority and intermediate document issues, and the problem-solution approach
- have lectures on special cases related to novelty and inventive step, such as partial problems, alternative solutions, implicit features, selection inventions and juxtaposition/aggregation of features. The lectures will be supplemented by practical case studies and exercises which will provide the participants with enhanced hands-on experience in the assessment of novelty and inventive step. The exercises will focus on the application of the problem-solution approach.
- have the opportunity to discuss the cases and related topics with EPO experts while doing exercises as well as in the plenary sessions.
European Patent Office, Munich
European Patent Academy
European Patent Office
Max. number of participants
Deadline for registration is over.