Get started with PATSTAT; the EPO Worldwide Patent Statistical Database
The event is fully booked.
Participants will get familiar with the background of PATSTAT, the content and coverage of the data set, how to install the database and how to query the database. They will then use a PATSTAT sample database extraction (in MS Access) to create simple patent statistics and patent indicators.
- IP authorities, patent offices, civil servants, customs officials
- Industry researchers
- Patent information professionals
- Public sector and university researchers
- SMEs and start-ups
- Students and faculty
- Patent libraries
- Business consultants and advisors
- Interested public
Level of expertise
- Why was PATSTAT created ?
- How is PATSTAT created ?
- What can you do with it ?
- PATSTAT on-line versus PATSTAT raw data
- How do you install PATSTAT ?
- How do you query PATSTAT ?
- Overview of PATSTAT tables, elements and their relations
- Sample overview of patent indicators
- Pre-defined patent indicators in PATSTAT on-line
- Pitfalls when working with patent data
- Linking other data sets to PATSTAT: INPADOC, HAN (OECD), EEE_PPAT
- Visualisations of results with external tools
- examples and exercises
All support material and handouts will be in English. However, all our trainers and our administrative staff are trilingual and would be pleased to answer any questions or give explanations in French or German, too.
Seminar participants are required to pay the seminar fees prior to the course, via bank transfer, credit card or deposit account. The registration for a seminar will be accepted as soon as the payment of the participation fee has arrived at the EPO. You will be notified of this via e-mail.
Basic knowledge of the patent system: you are familiar with the various bibliographical data items you can find on the front page of a patent document. Knowledge of Boolean operators.
A good command of English.
Knowledge of MS Access and/or SQL would be an advantage.
The fee for this two day seminar is 540 EUR.
The price for students is 162 EUR (only applicable if student ID is valid over the whole seminar time period).
The fee covers participation in the seminar and includes the participant package with seminar support material, refreshments and lunch.
Participants will understand the benefits of the PATSTAT database in comparison to other patent information products. They will also gain an insight into the use of PATSTAT and be able to create and interpret statistical analyses performed therewith.
Directions on how to reach the EPO Vienna and hotel accomodation.
- Here you can find the seminar progamme Introduction on PATSTAT: why PATSTAT ? Logical model, physical files and tables, overview of bibliohraphical data elements, records, installing the databse, the data catalog.
- DocDB: the source for PATSTAT. Data coverage and data aquisition procedure; relationship between applications and publications; priorities and family concepts
- Introduction on SQL and MS ACCESS: a data base extraction from the main PASTAT database (wind energy), introduction on SQL syntax: select-from-where command, joining tables, wildcards and logical operators.
- An introduction to easy patent indicators for business use: number of filings per year, country, applicant, family size. Pitfalls when working with patent data.
- Patent citations and NPL: forward and backward citations
- PATSTAT sattelite databases: INPADOC , the EPO register, eee-ppat, HAN and REGPAT databases
European Patent Office
Please contact Patent Information Training at email@example.com.
Max. number of participants
Deadline for registration is over.