Clarity-Unity: analysis of patent applications during search (entry level)
The seminar covers the basics of clarity and unity issues at the search and examination stages within the framework of the European patent granting procedure. The course includes the presentation of strategies for dealing with clarity and unity issues, accompanied by hands-on exercises and practical cases in the fields of physics/electricity/mechanics and biology/pharma/chemistry.
Target group: Staff of the national patent offices of the EPO member states
- IP authorities, patent offices, civil servants, customs officials
- SMEs and start-ups
Level of expertise
On completion of this seminar participants will have
- gained an insight into the basic problems associated with clarity and unity issues in applications at the search stage, and
- looked at strategies related to how to efficiently deal with such issues.
- Overview of the European patent granting procedure
- Description of clarity and unity issues
- Possible strategies for drawing up the search report in view of these issues
- Types of European search reports and written opinions
- Practical cases: examples and hands-on exercises
- Presentations on clarity and unity issues
- Group working on practical example cases
- Discussion of participant's own clarity/unity cases
Grand Hotel Continental
European Patent Academy
European Patent Office
T. +49 89 2399 5454
Deadline for registration is over.