This self-paced course aims at improving the searching skills and knowledge of local IP centres and libraries, with a view to carry out pre-filing searches for their clients or users and on this basis to advise them comprehensively on potential patent filing or freedom to operate.
The course is based on distance learning material, tutors will be joining in at local level, in almost each country. The European Patent Academy hosts the materials on-line and creates the course room where all participants can interact. An EPO expert will occasionally conference with the tutors to solve any questions that may remain.
• Patent procedure and application tools
• IP and innovation management
• Patent documentation and information
• IP awareness and education
Staff of local IP centres/libraries of EPO non-member states.
Once successfully completed, participants will
• know how to find the gist of invention, how to associate invention with classification
• have an overview of freely available search tools and be able to apply appropriate strategies
• be familiar with the basic requirements for patentability
• be able to draft an informative search report in structured form
The distance learning course will explain in detail the following main topics:
• Understanding the technical problem
• Search and classification
• Reading and interpreting search results
• Collating the results in an informative search report
A balanced mix of theory and practice providing for interactive discussions with the local tutors and an online forum will help to generate new knowledge, clarify open questions and allow for immediately putting into practice the acquired know-how.
Participants must be employed by an IP centre or library or alternatively a staff member and/or nominated by a national IP office. A good command of spoken and written English is required.
In order to attend the on-line course participants need a computer with an internet browser and a high-speed broadband internet connection.
Estimated working time:
about 1,5 h for e-learning module
about 3 h for case study / assignment
The on-line course will be hosted on the Internet and accessible 7/24 from 4 November 2013 on.
European Patent Academy
European Patent Office
Deadline for registration is over.