This distance learning course has been designed for patent examiners at national offices. Participants will learn the basics of identifying the relevant parts of a patent application for search, they will learn how to build up an appropriate search strategy and coming to terms with the results received. Respective tool training will not form part of this course, since this is included in other training courses offered by the European Patent Academy. Altogether seven e-learning modules will be accompanied by virtual classroom sessions to allow for direct interaction with expert tutors from the European Patent Office.
The training will be delivered in three phases at the end of which participants will have to take a test. Certificates will only be issued on successful completion of all three tests (at a passing rate of 70%).
Staff of the national patent offices of EPO member states
On completion of the seminar participants will
• be able prepare a search, having analysed the application
• be able to carry out the search applying the appropriate strategy
• be able to evaluate search results and, if necessary, refine the search
• know when to stop searching
During this distance learning course, participants will deal with:
• reading a patent application, focusing on claims, description, embodiments
• establishing a search table
• analysing the documents retrieved, collating results
• practical examples and assignments
NB: practical work will be carried out by means of the search tools available to the individual participant.
Basic knowledge of patent search. Experience in patent search would be an advantage.
Very good command of English, both orally and in writing.
Estimated working time:
The on-line course will be hosted on the Internet and accessible 7/24 from 26 May 2014 on. The virtual classroom (VC) sessions are scheduled as below (change of dates might occur), starting each at 14:00 h CEST:
VC (1): 27.05.2014
VC (2): 11.06.2014
VC (3): 24.06.2014
VC (4): 03.07.2014
VC (5): 16.07.2014
European Patent Academy
European Patent Office
Deadline for registration is over.